Friday, January 25, 2008

Log Cabin is my new favorite thing!

I finished my first Log Cabin pillow and I am in love with this technique!

It basically uses the Log Cabin technique from Mason-Dixon Knitting. It is a 16 x 16 pillow form for reference.
We charted out our color design using graph paper and colored pencils. I have a geeky love of graph paper (but not for math usage) so that was fun. ;-) I used six colors, most of the examples in class used four, so you have options there. The numbers are the order that you work the pieces.

Here's a close up of the colors:

I was a little unsure of my color choices when I had the red, orange, and yellow done... it seemed a bit too bright. But as soon as I started to add the blue and grey, I loved it. It has a brown border going all the way around that you really can't see in the photos (darn pillows with their curves). All of the sections were picked up on the right side except for the border which was picked up on the wrong side. That gives it a different, almost sewn look that is nice for a border. Also the border was done with increases to give them diagonals that get sewn together as miters so it has a "border" appearance not just another color square.

I used a fabric backing so that I wouldn't have to knit a plain square (well it could have been done in a pattern but what's the point for the back?) and so that it would be a bit more cat friendly.
nope, I didn't iron the fabric creases out. I'm a rebel like that (i.e. careless crafter who hates to iron)
I did that simply enough - the fabric piece is just cut to the same size as the knit front with the addition of a little extra seam allowance on just one side. Fold the little seam allowance over and sew it down. Then I held them with the right sides together and sewed the three sides without the extra allowance together. Turn it right side out and put the pillow form in! For the other edge (which is the bottom on my pillow), I used medium ("size 4" - not sure of the measurement) sew-on snaps to close it. I used seven snaps (one on each far edge, one in the middle, then four more evenly spaced. The snaps work from either end and if you pay attention and put them going the "right" way they will blend in more without a silver bump showing through the knitting (I put the first two on with the bump before I realized they could go either way).
All closed up
I love it! The only thing I'll change for the next time, is to use a smaller needle with this yarn. (all Plymouth Jeannee) I used a nine but would use an eight next time, it is a bit loose.

I'm going to be doing a lot of projects from Mason-Dixon this year - in addition to the ones I've already mentioned I've decided to do some of the Baby Bibs o'Love and the One-Piece Baby Kimono for some of the babies coming this year among my family and friends. (found out about another one this week!) I mean, the idea of a baby kimono is adorable to begin with, but how can you go wrong with one that is so cheap it uses Sugar n' Cream? I got some of the great twist colors to use too. (take note that the patron calls for two balls but that is of the solid colors - the twists, stripes, and variegated are all smaller balls than the solids so you'll need three)

On my needles now: a dishcloth for my swap recipient! After that, Trevor's dashing gloves.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena