Monday, October 1, 2007

Fall into Autumn post of the week

This week's posting theme from the "Fall into Autumn" swap...

Are there any recipes you especially enjoy having in the Fall? Any foods that are seasonal that you especially enjoy? Feel free to share recipes with us too!

I do a lot of crockpot cooking in the Fall and Winter... also soups and hearty things in general.

This is one of my favorite soup recipes, a variation on a recipe from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

Pesto Minestrone
1/4 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut up
1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 regular or 2 small potatoes, diced (helps to precook partly by
microwaving for a few minutes after cutting up)
1/2 medium/1 small zucchini, diced
1/2 medium/1 small yellow squash, diced
optional: diced celery, carrot, onion (in recipe, I include each only depending on what I have each time)
at least 6 cups vegetable broth (3 cans) (that's all that will fit in my crock pot. I start with that then add another can or so after some of the soup is eaten and it is very thick and needs more broth)
Cook 7-8 hours in crockpot (6 quart size needed for this quantity) on low or cook on stove until tender
add your favoirte cooked pasta before serving, or add 1 cup of the tiny stars (my favorite)
(pastina?) the last half hour or so of cooking the soup and they will cook quickly
When soup is ready, stir in approx 1/4 cup of prepared pesto and serve with yummy bread!

And this, is another of my favorite recipes. This one is based on a recipe from Boca Foods

Barbecue Beans
(can be done in a crockpot or on top of the stove)
4 15 oz cans of your choice of beans, rinsed and drained (recipe calls
for butter, pinto, black, and white but I've used any sort of
combination of what I had/liked - I don't like black so I never use those)
1 12 oz fake burger (or other size equivalent to 1 pound burger) or, you meat eaters can use real burger, I suppose ;-)
1 cup chopped onion (I don't use)
1 bottle bbq sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is our favorite)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained

Bring all to a boil on med high heat; reduce heat to med low, cover, simmer 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove lid and simmer another 5 minutes. Enjoy! Good with cornbread, is also good served right over a piece of cornbread or a biscuit.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena