Saturday, July 28, 2007

Sweet Potato Pancakes

Sweet Potato Pancakes
from: The New Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen note: This is an update of the original Moosewood Cookbook from 1977 so the same or similar recipe may be in that edition as well

4 cups (packed) coarsely grated sweet potatoes (recipe says 1 large or 2 medium - I had 1 large and only got 3 cups so...) done with the largest grate on my box grater
1/2 cup grated onion
I used vidalia. I grate onion with the small grate on my flat hand grater to get it very fine
3 to 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
4 beaten eggs (yolks optional)
I used the whole eggs since I didn't have another use for the yolks
1/3 cup flour
optional: 1/3 cup minced parsley
I used a random small handful

oil for frying
toppings: sour cream or yogurt
applesauce

1) Combine all ingredients and mix well.
2) Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet until it is very hot. (A fleck of batter should sizzle on contact.)
3) Use a non-slotted spoon to form thin pancakes, patting the batter down. Fry on both sides until brown, adding small amounts of additional oil, if/as needed.
4) serve hot, with toppings.

This is basically the same as a regular potato pancake recipe but I never thought of using sweet potatoes. It is a really good idea! They come out nicely colored orange and taste great.
Oh, the recipe says 4 to 6 servings but I don't see that happening. Maybe as breakfast with a bunch of other stuff. I adapted the recipe the go along with my 3 cups of sweet potato and the two of us ate almost all of them for dinner with a soysage/polish sausage each on the side.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena