Monday, August 6, 2007

Yay, swap yarn!

I have a lot of things to catch up on (FOs, WIPs, and nifty husband made presents!) but for now, let me just post a big thank you to my No Sheep for You Swapper who sent me a great package for July. Thanks, Sam! Sam went above and beyond the call of duty by hand dyeing me something for the swap! And she also sent me two balls of Cascade Fixation (my sock favorite) in a color I didn't have yet - Tiger Lily #9349. Now some photos of the yarny goodness, then a question!
The colors are not right, I couldn't get them no matter how many pictures I tried. The Fixation is much redder than this picture. It is like a salmony pink with dark red throughout. And the lovely hand dyed - oh it is raw silk, I forgot to say that part earlier! - is... just more gorgeous and vibrant than the picture shows. pinks, corals, and "natural" off white. Really really pretty.
Also here's the silk all balled up. I think the colors might show a little better here. I really need a swift! I keep saying that but not getting one... (are you listening people who buy me Christmas gifts?) I totally lurve it. I've never worked with silk before. It is soft and yummy.

Now the question: What should I make with it? Suggestions are welcomed! The details: It is somewhere around 750-800 yards of raw silk in a "sport fingering" (think heavy fingering). I'm thinking it would look lovely in a simple lace pattern so I thought this might be good for my first lace project, if anybody has a suggestion of a pattern that this weight/amount might work for... then I can start swatching!

Coming soon: socks, broken needles, and... oh right, the surprise yarn related present Trevor made me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like it! It makes me grin to see the photos of the skein -- and boy, did I give you a lot. ;)

And if you're wanting to start lace... Just a thought, since it was my first lace project (and you'd actually have enough to do this, too) -- I did Knitty's Convertible (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATTconvertible.html) in a variegated bamboo yarn, and it looks sooo nice: I tend to favor the shrug or the cowl look, and I take any and all excuses to wear it.

I can see I'm going to need to take and post pictures myself...

alissa said...

Thanks, Sam! I'll definitely keep that pattern in mind!

 

Made by Lena